RMI Mission Statement
RMI’s mission is to advocate for Maryland manufacturing and help companies grow and be competitive.
Founded in 1990, the Regional Manufacturing Institute (RMI), a non-profit association, was created for manufacturers in the Baltimore Metropolitan area. Today, RMI of Maryland represents the interests of manufacturers statewide – providing programs, services, and advocacy.
While Maryland manufacturers have a wide variety of public and private resources to assist them, the problem are that these resources are fragmented RMI has traditionally served as a unique manufacturing resource node and connector for Maryland manufacturing.
RMI reaches the manufacturing community like no other organization, bringing together numerous public organizations and successfully markets programs to industry. RMI’s well earned stature enables the organization to reach top level CEOs in the State, the Governor of the State of Maryland, U.S. Senators and Congressmen, as well as the State’s political leadership and the media.
For over 20 years RMI has provided hands-on help to manufacturers in the following ways:
- Served workforce needs through its collaborative relationship with community colleges and relevant government agencies.
- Connected smaller manufacturers to larger manufactures to provide learning models on lean practices, exporting, green manufacturing and, more recently, Next Generation Manufacturing.
- Educated manufacturers through a variety of high level forums, small intimate gatherings and online web-services, on available resources to help them export globally.
- Educated the general public about the sophistication of today’s manufacturing and the attractiveness for manufacturing jobs for young people.
- Connected manufacturers with private, state, and federal resources to help manufacturers export their products globally.
- Provided the “voice of manufacturing” to help educate senior policy-makers on the importance of manufacturing to the State’s economy to ensure that adequate resources and attention are devoted to manufacturing.