RMI’s 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing Define New Directions in a New Reality
People’s Choice Award winners have been announced. View them here.
NOTE: This program is NOT limited to manufacturers. Individuals, companies, organizations, agencies and academic/training entities whose exemplary efforts in support of Maryland’s manufacturing industry deserve recognition, are eligible to be featured as a Champion of Maryland Manufacturing. Read on for details.
Manufacturing plays a critical role in Maryland’s economy; it greatly impacts middle class jobs, our families, communities and human life itself. In these challenging times, a new reality is emerging across Maryland, defining the future of Maryland manufacturing.
RMI’s 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing will “tell the stories” of many of these challenges and the successes in overcoming them. These stories become the beacons of change for how we are finding our way. Champions are the people, companies, organizations, and agencies who make up our Maryland manufacturing eco-system who have distinguished themselves through their efforts of manufacturing-related innovation, leadership, goodwill, transformation and/or resilience in 2019-2020.
Rather than printing a Champions Yearbook as we have done in the past, RMI has developed an incredible new online Directory to honor and celebrate our 2020 Champions. It houses stories, photos and videos on each Champion and is being promoted through RMI and media channels of our Champions Partners. As you can see from the logos featured on this page, we are proudly partnering with some of Maryland’s leading business organizations on this year’s program!
We invite you to submit your story or the story of an individual, company, organization , agency or academic/training entity who deserves recognition for their exemplary manufacturing-related efforts in any one of these seven key areas:
- Battling COVID-19: Stories highlighting ways manufacturing stakeholders are working to provide products, services or resources for healthcare workers, hospitals, manufacturing facilities and others in the fight against COVID-19.
- Innovation: Stories of new and creative approaches to manufacturing – including product development (e.g., pharmaceuticals), technology development, digital transformation within a company, process and supply chain management and more.
- Resiliency: Stories highlighting how manufacturers or others involved in the manufacturing process have overcome challenges presented to them in 2019 or 2020. Example: a manufacturer who has pivoted to produce a new product because demand for its traditional product declined. Example: an MD-based international product supplier who sourced new local manufacturers with whom to partner because of constraints placed upon them due to COVID-19, changes in the international trade environment, etc. Example: training entities who pivoted to online training for manufacturing skills/ certifications/degrees as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Workforce: Stories highlighting ways manufacturers and industry stakeholders have implemented new processes to train, retain and attract manufacturing workers or how manufacturers have hired unemployed workers from other industries in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, restructured their facility to make it safer for their employees, and more, as well as stories of ways industry stakeholders have adapted to provide unique resources and/or methods of training needed for the manufacturing industry.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Stories highlighting efforts that embrace individual differences and create systemic, cultural, and/or behavioral change towards diversity and inclusion in the manufacturing workplace and in access by diverse manufacturing entrepreneurs and leadership to business resources and opportunities for success.
- Community Engagement: Stories highlighting how manufacturers and manufacturing industry stakeholders are giving back to the Maryland communities in which they work.
- Energy Efficiency & Sustainability: Stories of efforts by manufacturers – or efforts of service providers assisting manufacturers – in making substantial changes to their operations to reduce electricity costs and become more sustainable.
There is NO COST to submit a Champion story. Deadline to submit a Champion story is Friday, October 2, National Manufacturing Day. Voting for People’s Choice Awards begins on October 6 and winners will be announced Oct 21. See below for more People’s Choice Awards details.
We have created a few brief Champions program video tutorials for you:
Who is eligible to be recognized as a 2020 Champion of Maryland Manufacturing?
- Maryland Manufacturers
- Non-manufacturing Businesses
- Educational Institutions
- Government Agencies
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Individuals from any of the above
with noteworthy stories of innovation, business transformation, change management, visionary and/or emerging leadership, inclusiveness, community goodwill and social impact efforts associated in some way with the manufacturing industry in 2019-2020.
Applicants must be based in Maryland and can be previous Champions of Maryland Manufacturing. Applicants do NOT have to be manufacturers, but their products, services or efforts must be related to or have supported the manufacturing industry in some way in 2020. Applicants may submit multiple stories. Applicants do NOT have to be members of RMI or of any Champions program partner organization.
When & how to be recognized as a Champion
Beginning July 1, an entity that wants to be considered as a Champion candidate, or those submitting others as Champion candidates, can submit their stories, or stories of others, as 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing via the “Tell Your Story” application located on RMI’s website. The application collects information highlighting the work the candidate (applicant) is doing/has done in 2020 to benefit Maryland’s manufacturing industry. Deadline to submit a Champion story is Friday, October 23 in order for a company to be eligible for the People’s Choice Awards.See below for more information on People’s Choice Awards.
How and when will the 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing be announced and their stories shared?
RMI’s Planning Committee will review and screen all submitted stories weekly beginning July 1 through September, 11 2020 to ensure that applicants meet eligibility criteria as 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing. In previous years, RMI has recognized Champions via an in-person awards ceremony as well as through a print and digital yearbook. This year, RMI and our partners will recognize Champions by featuring their self-submitted stories in a digital profile in a specially designed “Champions Directory” on RMI’s website, as well as through social media channels, regular email campaigns, blog posts and press announcements. New Champion stories (digital profiles) will be added to the Champion Directory weekly.
Something New This Year – People’s Choice Awards
Beginning on Monday, October 12, 2020 through Sunday, October 18, the public is invited to review all selected Champions and vote for their favorite in each of the 7 categories. Based on the voting, the top 2 Champions in each of the 7 categories that receive the most votes will be designated as the 2020 People’s Choice Award winners. Get more details here.
Questions? Email Stacey Smith, Director of Outreach & Events, at stacey@RMIofmaryland.com or call (443)844-0047.