RMI’s 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing Define New Directions in a New Reality
Manufacturing plays a critical role in Maryland’s economy; it greatly impacts middle class jobs, our families, communities and human life itself. In these challenging times, a new reality is emerging across Maryland, defining the future of Maryland manufacturing.
RMI’s 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing will “tell the stories” of many of these challenges and the successes in overcoming them. These stories become the beacons of change for how we are finding our way. Champions are the people, companies, organizations, and agencies who make up our Maryland manufacturing eco-system who have distinguished themselves through their efforts of manufacturing-related innovation, leadership, goodwill, transformation and/or resilience in 2019-2020.
Rather than printing a Champions Yearbook as we have done in the past, RMI has developed an incredible new website area to honor and celebrate our 2020 Champions. It will house stories, photos and videos on each Champion which will be promoted through RMI and media channels of our Champions Partners. As you can see from the logos featured on this page, we are proudly partnering with some of Maryland’s leading business organizations on this year’s program!
We invite you to submit your story or the story of an individual, company, organization or agency who deserves recognition for their exemplary efforts in any one of these six key areas:
- Battling COVID-19 in Manufacturing: Stories highlighting ways manufacturing stakeholders are working to provide products, services or resources for healthcare workers, hospitals, manufacturing facilities and others in the fight against COVID-19.
- Digital Transformation: Stories that highlight how manufacturers or suppliers have transitioned manufacturing operations to become more digitally/technologically integrated to better compete in the new working environment.
- Workforce: Stories highlighting ways manufacturers and industry stakeholders have implemented new processes to train, retain and attract manufacturing workers or how manufacturers have hired unemployed workers from other industries in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, restructured their facility to make it safer for their employees, and more, as well as stories of ways industry stakeholders have adapted to provide unique resources and/or methods of training needed for the manufacturing industry.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Stories highlighting efforts that embrace individual differences and create systemic, cultural, and/or behavioral change towards diversity and inclusion in the manufacturing workplace and in access by diverse manufacturing entrepreneurs and leadership to business resources and opportunities for success.
- Community Engagement: Stories highlighting how manufacturers and manufacturing industry stakeholders are giving back to the Maryland communities in which they work.
- Energy Efficiency & Sustainability: Stories of efforts by manufacturers – or efforts of service providers assisting manufacturers – in making substantial changes to their operations to reduce electricity costs and become more sustainable.
There is NO COST to submit a Champion story.
We have created a few brief Champions program video tutorials for you:
Who is eligible to be recognized as a 2020 Champion of Maryland Manufacturing?
- Maryland Manufacturers
- Non-manufacturing Businesses
- Educational Institutions
- Government Agencies
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Individuals from any of the above
with noteworthy stories of innovation, business transformation, change management, visionary and/or emerging leadership, inclusiveness, community goodwill and social impact efforts associated in some way with the manufacturing industry in 2019-2020.
Applicants must be based in Maryland and can be previous Champions of Maryland Manufacturing. Applicants do NOT have to be manufacturers, but their products, services or efforts must be related to or have supported the manufacturing industry in some way in 2020. Applicants may submit multiple stories. Applicants do NOT have to be members of RMI or of any Champions program partner organization.
When & how to be recognized as a Champion
Beginning July 1, an entity that wants to be considered as a Champion candidate, or those submitting others as Champion candidates, can submit their stories, or stories of others, as 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing via the “Tell Your Story” application located on RMI’s website. The application collects information highlighting the work the candidate (applicant) is doing/has done in 2020 to benefit Maryland’s manufacturing industry. Deadline to submit a Champion story is Friday, October 2, National Manufacturing Day. There is NO COST to submit a story.
How and when will the 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing be announced and their stories shared?
RMI’s Planning Committee will review and screen all submitted stories weekly beginning July 1 through September, 11 2020 to ensure that applicants meet eligibility criteria as 2020 Champions of Maryland Manufacturing. In previous years, RMI has recognized Champions via an in-person awards ceremony as well as through a print and digital yearbook. This year, RMI and our partners will recognize Champions by featuring their self-submitted stories in a digital profile in a specially designed “Champions Directory” on RMI’s website, as well as through social media channels, regular email campaigns, blog posts and press announcements. New Champion stories (digital profiles) will be added to the Champion Directory weekly.
Something New This Year – MD Manufacturing Champions of Choice Awards
Beginning on Wednesday, October 7, 2020 through Friday, October 16, 2020, the public is invited to review all selected Champions and vote for their favorite (one vote per email address). Based on the voting, the top 3 Champions in each of the 6 categories that receive the most People’s Choice votes will be designated as the 2020 Champions of MD Manufacturing People’s Choice winners. Winners will be announced on Wednesday, October 21 and recognized at a special Maryland Manufacturing Matters ceremony in Annapolis, MD (provided that such events/gatherings are permitted at that time. Note: Maryland Governor Hogan will be invited to participate in this special ceremony and assist in the announcement of the 2020 MD Manufacturing Champions of Choice winners. Date to be determined.)
Questions? Email Stacey Smith, Director of Outreach & Events, at stacey@RMIofmaryland.com or call (443)844-0047.